HOME OF JUDGE THOMAS WHITE
REFUGE OF FRANCIS ASBURY
Near this site stood the home of Judge Thomas White, member of the Colonial Maryland legislature and Delaware House of Assembly, Chief Justice of the Kent County Court of Common Pleas, and delegate to the Delaware Constitutional Conventions of 1776 and 1791-1792. This was also the boyhood home of his son, Samuel White, U.S. Senator from Delaware 1801-1809. Here the future Methodist Bishop, Francis Asbury, found refuge during the tumultuous Revolutionary War years of 1778-1780. While living with the Whites, Asbury developed the ideas that would shape the future of American Methodism.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Southside, Rt 59 (Whitleysburg Rd), approximately one mile southeast of the intersection of Rt 12 and Whitleysburg Rd.