On June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for colored students, later known as Delaware State College, approved a resolution recommending the establishment of a four year high school for Negro students on its campus. This was the second such institution in the state, and the first outside of Wilmington. Many of the classes were held in the Dupont Building, also known as the Practice School. This building was named for Pierre S. duPont, a Delaware philanthropist who was instrumental in funding the construction of Negro Schools throughout the state. With the establishment of a comprehensive high school for Negro students in each county, the State College High School was closed in 1952.

Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at

LOCATION: West side of U.S. 13, North Dover, rear of campus.