SITE OF WHATCOAT CHURCH.
In 1791 Daniel Lowber granted permission for “the society of people called Methodists” to erect a “meeting house” at this location. The site was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1796. Adjoining land was obtained in 1813 for use as a public burying ground. The church was named for Richard Whatcoat (1736-1806), a native of England who was sent to this country by John Wesley in 1784 to assist with the formation of new churches and plan the future of American Methodism. He was elected to serve as Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1800. The congregation continued to meet in “Whatcoat Chapel” until they moved to a new location in 1857. The cemetery was expanded following the removal of the old church.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at email@example.com.
LOCATION: Main Street, Camden, across from King’s Tire.-