Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Town and City Histories"

Little Creek

RG #6120   The 1800s The Town of Little Creek, first called Little Landing, was established where the Little River (earlier called Little Creek) met the public road [currently Route 9]. A draw bridge was built spanning the river as early as 1802.1 The Town was at its height in the nineteenth century when a […]



Farmington

RG #6035   The 1800s In 1855, Governor William Tharp, a Treasurer of the Delaware Railroad, was instrumental in having a railroad station built near his home to serve the southern Kent County farming community. A town formed here which was initially called Flat Iron, but within ten years, the name was changed to Farmington. […]



Newark

RG #5070   The 1700s – 1849 Settled in the early eighteenth century, Newark was a thriving market town and a stop for travelers between the Chesapeake Bay and Philadelphia when, in 1758, it received a colonial Charter from King George II. In general, the late eighteen and early nineteenth-century development was typical of other […]



Townsend

RG #5400   The 1800s Townsend, located in southern New Castle County in an area of fertile agricultural land and dense forests, was originally an isolated crossroads village called Charley Town, with a store and a few houses. In 1856, when the Delaware Railroad line established a station here, it was renamed Townsend, after the […]



New Castle

RG #5080   The 1600s & 1700s The City of New Castle was claimed by the Swedish, the Dutch and the English at various times during the seventeenth century, but the English would finally prevail and New Castle was part of the territory which was granted to William Penn by King Charles II of England. […]



Odessa

RG #5200   The early 1800s Located on the Appoqinimink Creek, Cantwell’s Landing was one terminus of a portage road on a route established in the seventeenth century to provide access from the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake Bay. The landing and the nearby village of Cantwell’s Bridge were named for Edmund Cantwell who settled […]



Viola

RG# 6160   In 1856, when the Delaware Railroad established a station stop at the intersection of the road from Canterbury with the road to Willow Grove, there were only a few farmhouses located nearby. The stop was called Canterbury Station, as it was only a mile west of that community. A village began to […]



Slaughter Beach

RG# 7220   As early as 1700, a community formed where two navigable rivers, the Mispillion River and Cedar Creek, emptied into the Delaware Bay. The Slaughter Beach community, along with its neighbor community just to the north, Cedar Beach, was one of a number of places located on the Delaware Bay which served as […]



Selbyville

RG# 7210   Shortly after Mason and Dixon carried out the survey that would establish the boundary line between Maryland and Delaware, a community began to develop near the location of a grist mill and sawmill on Sandy Branch at the headwaters of the Bishopsville Prong of the St. Martin’s River. Its name, Selbyville, dates […]



Ocean View

RG# 7170   The 1800s Around 1800, W.S. Hall opened a store on farmland he owned near White’s Creek, a tributary of the Indian River Bay. A village began to form around the store which served the needs of the nearby farmers and also became home to many watermen. Originally known as Hall’s Store, legend […]






+