Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Historical Markers"

The Home of William Julius “Judy” Johnson

NC-95: Originally Installed in 1995. In 1975, William Julius “Judy” Johnson became the first Delawarean elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. During his career, 1921 through 1936, Johnson was considered the best third baseman in the Negro Leagues. In 1935, Johnson served as captain of the Pittsburgh Crawfords, a team that also featured […]



Taylor’s Bridge School

NC-93: Originally Installed in 1997 On April 5, 1923, a frame schoolhouse located nearby was destroyed by a storm. Within two weeks, the General Assembly appropriated $5,000 to construct a new school. Although the amount proved to be inadequate, P.S. duPont, through the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, provided the balance necessary to complete the project. […]



Village of Arden

NC-92: Originally Installed in 1994. Arden is an intentional community, founded in 1900 by social reformers Frank Stephens, a sculptor, and Will Price, an architect, to create a society based on Henry George’s Single Tax economics and William Morris’s arts and crafts philosophy. Incorporated in 1967, the village continues to be governed by these taxation and […]



Thomas Garrett: Underground Railroad Stationmaster

NC-88: Originally Installed in 1993. Born August 21, 1789, in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, Garrett came to Wilmington in 1822. A prominent merchant, his home and business were located nearby on Shipley Street. Garrett was committed to the anti-slavery efforts of his Quaker faith. He is credited with assisting more than 2,700 of “God’s Poor” to […]



Mount Olive Cemetery

NC-87. In 1862, the members of Mother AUMP Church, also known as the Union Church of African Members, purchased property at the corner of Lancaster Avenue and Union Street in Wilmington for the purpose of establishing a cemetery. In 1914, the Church sold the property, then known as St. Peter’s Cemetery, for the construction of […]



Ebright Azimuth

NC-85. The highest benchmark monument in Delaware is located on Ebright Road. This horizontal control mark denotes an elevation of 447.85 feet above sea level. The Delaware Geological Survey through its relationship with the National Geodetic Survey has determined that this benchmark monument is in the vicinity of the highest natural elevation in the state. […]



Howard High School

NC-82: originally installed in 1988.   Founded in 1867 by the Association for the Moral Improvement and Education of Colored People and named for Civil Ward General Oliver Otis Howard, the original school was located at 12th and Orange Streets. Pierre S. DuPont was the major benefactor for the new building, opened in 1928 on […]



Anthony: Delaware’s First Known Black Settler

NC-80: installed in 1998.   A black man named Anthony was among the first permanent settlers of New Sweden. He came to the colony from the West Indies in 1639 aboard the Swedish ship the Vogel Grip. Records indicate that Black Anthony became a free man named Antoni Swart, an employee of Governor Johan Printz, […]



Camp Brandywine

NC-78: Originally Installed in 1966.   In the Civil War, the first camp of this name was at the Wilmington Fair Grounds for the First and Second Delaware Regiments. The same name was given this site in September 1862 for a camp of Pennsylvania troops sent to guard powder mills. They were relieved by the […]



Duncan Beard

NC-72: Originally Installed in 1939. Duncan Beard, a Delaware lock-maker and silversmith of great distinction lived and labored here for about thirty years until his death in 1797. Was a prominent member of Old Drawyers Presbyterian Church. Made a contract with the State of Delaware in 1776 for the manufacture of gun locks.     […]






+