Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Historical Markers"

Anthony: Delaware’s First Known Black Settler

NC-80: installed in 1998.   A black man named Anthony was among the first permanent settlers of New Sweden. He came to the colony from the West Indies in 1639 aboard the Swedish ship the Vogel Grip. Records indicate that Black Anthony became a free man named Antoni Swart, an employee of Governor Johan Printz, […]



Camp Brandywine

NC-78: Originally Installed in 1966.   In the Civil War, the first camp of this name was at the Wilmington Fair Grounds for the First and Second Delaware Regiments. The same name was given this site in September 1862 for a camp of Pennsylvania troops sent to guard powder mills. They were relieved by the […]



Duncan Beard

NC-72: Originally Installed in 1939. Duncan Beard, a Delaware lock-maker and silversmith of great distinction lived and labored here for about thirty years until his death in 1797. Was a prominent member of Old Drawyers Presbyterian Church. Made a contract with the State of Delaware in 1776 for the manufacture of gun locks.     […]



Hale-Byrnes House

NC-50A: Originally Installed in 1973.   The general officers of American army September 6, 1777, were directed to meet at the brick house by White Clay Creek and fix proper “picquets” for the security of the camp. Recorded in order book by Captain Robert Kirkwood.                     […]



The Wedge

NC-36 Here between Maryland and the Delaware curve is a wedge-shaped tract of about 800 acres. For more than a century claimed by Pennsylvania but governed by Delaware. A joint commission appointed 1889 from both states awarded it to Delaware. Ratified by Pennsylvania 1897, by Delaware 1821, and by Congress 1921.         […]



Robert Kirkwood

NC-34: Originally Installed 2011 Born 1756 on a farm adjoining this church. Senior captain of the Delaware Battalion of Continental Army after the Battle of Camden, S.C., 1780. Distinguished throughout Revolution for undaunted bravery and devotion to cause of liberty. Brevetted major 1783. Killed in battle with Indians 1791 near Fort Recovery, Ohio, his thirty-third […]



Landing Place of William Penn

NC-25: Originally Installed 1932 Near here October 27, 1682. William Penn first stepped on American soil. He proceeded to the fort and performed Livery of Seisin. “He took the key, there of . . . we did deliver unto him one turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and soyle, in […]



Fort Casmir

NC-23: Originally Installed in 1932 One hundred feet to the east of this point is the Site of Fort Casmir. Erected by Dutch 1651. Taken by Swedes 1654, also called Fort Trafaldigheets or Trinity, retaken by Dutch under Petrus Stuyvesant in person September 11, 1655.                     […]



Historical Markers

  The Delaware Public Archives operates the Historical Markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact us at (302) 744-5000 or historicalmarkers@delaware.gov.     HISTORICAL MARKER CRITERIA & FORMS Have a suggestion for a marker? Please […]



Marking Delaware History with Historical Markers

This blog is part of a special behind the scenes series for Archives Month. Kate Fair, markers coordinator Delaware has over 570 historical markers located throughout the state. Historical markers are first proposed by members of the public, vetted for historical significance by the Delaware Public Archives, and financially sponsored by state senators and representatives. The Delaware Historical […]






+