Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Historical Markers"

Georgetown Hundred

SC-47. First created 1833, by Act of General Assembly, which provided that Broadkill Hundred be divided into two hundreds, the eastern to be known as Broadkiln and the western as Georgetown. In 1835 this Act was repealed and Georgetown Hundred disappeared. It was recreated in 1861.   Location: Georgetown/ Bridgeville Rd. S. side of hwy […]



Georgetown Hundred

SC-41. First created 1833, by Act of General Assembly, which provided that Broadkill Hundred be divided into two hundreds, the eastern to be known as Broadkiln and the western as Georgetown. In 1835 this Act was repealed and Georgetown Hundred disappeared. It was recreated in 1861.   Location: DE 9 near Whaley’s Corner Rd. Georgetown, […]



Georgetown Hundred

SC-37. First created 1833, by Act of General Assembly, which provided that Broadkill Hundred be divided into two hundreds, the eastern to be known as Broadkiln and the western as Georgetown. In 1835 this Act was repealed and Georgetown Hundred disappeared. It was recreated in 1861.   Location: Rt. 9 (5.2 mi. E. of Georgetown) […]



Georgetown Hundred

SC-19. First created 1833, by Act of General Assembly, which provided that Broadkill Hundred be divided into two hundreds, the eastern to be known as Broadkiln and the western as Georgetown. In 1835 this Act was repealed and Georgetown Hundred disappeared. It was recreated in 1861.   Location: Laurel Rd. 3.1 mi from Georgetown Georgetown, […]



Georgetown Hundred

SC-16. First created 1833, by Act of General Assembly, which provided that Broadkill Hundred be divided into two hundreds, the eastern to be known as Broadkiln and the western as Georgetown. In 1835 this Act was repealed and Georgetown Hundred disapeared. It was recreated in 1861.   Location: US 113 @ Ellendale Forest & Woodland […]



Gumboro Hundred

SC-58. Created 1873 by Act of General Assembly from the southern parts of Broad Creek and Dagsboro Hundreds.   Location: Millsboro Gumboro Highway East side near Mission 12 mi. from Millsboro near MD line Millsboro, DE 19966



Indian River Hundred

SC-53. So named in 1706. This hundred together with Lewes and Rehoboth, Broadkill, and Cedar Creek Hundreds, formed what the early settlers called “Old Sussex.”   Location: S. side of Indian River, E. side of road. Millsboro, DE



Iron Hill

NC-54. Indian names, Marettico, meaning hill of hard stone, and Susquasehum, meaning iron. Minqua Indians had a fort on hill which Senecas attacked, 1663. British troops encamped on hill, 1777, and American troops, under Caesar A. Rodney, 1814. Iron discovered prior to 1661. Mined until 1891. Largest ore pit one mile north.   Location: 1.5 […]



John Hunn

NC-179.  



John McKinly President (Governor) of Delaware, 1777

NC-81: Originally Installed in 1988.   The only-known governor born in a foreign country. John McKinly was born in Northern Ireland on February 24, 1721. He immigrated to Wilmington in 1742, began a medical practice, and became actively involved in Delaware politics. McKinly served as a member of the Colonial Assembly, President of the Council […]






+