Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Historical Markers"

Milton Museum

SC-217: originally installed in 2007. On October 22, 1857, land at this location was conveyed to members of the Methodist Protestant Church. Construction of a house of worship was completed soon thereafter. The congregation consisted largely of persons who were employed in the community’s booming maritime and commercial economy. An expansion and rebuilding project was […]

Read More


Golden Rule Lodge #17, I.O.O.F.

SC-216: originally installed in 2007. The origins of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows can be traced to the creation of beneficial trade societies in England. Composed of craftsmen who practiced a variety of different or “odd” occupations, the purpose of these organizations was to support the needs of members and improve the communities in […]

Read More


Sen. John J. Williams

SC-212: originally installed in 2007. Born May 17, 1904, John James Williams was a native and lifelong resident of Sussex County, Delaware. After completing his education in local public schools, he established the Millsboro Feed Company with his brother in 1922. The rapid growth of the poultry industry resulted in the success of this enterprise […]

Read More


Governor William Ross

SC-211: originally installed in 2006. Born on June 2, 1814, in Laurel, Delaware, William Henry Harrison Ross was the son of Caleb and Letitia Lofland Ross. He was educated in local public schools and later attended Claremont Academy in Pennsylvania. As a young man, Ross was employed in a variety of business pursuits in his […]

Read More


Civil Air Patrol – Coastal Patrol Base Two

SC-205: originally installed in 2006. Established in the opening days of World War II, the Civil Air Patrol was organized to provide civilian assistance with a variety of military activities including Coastal Defense. Utilizing privately-owned light aircraft, these citizen volunteers patrolled Atlantic waters in search of German submarines and their victims. Some of these planes […]

Read More


Ellendale

SC-198: originally installed in 2005. This area began as forest and swamp bridging the Divide between the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. European Contact made it a province of fur traders and hunters. In the 18th century, farming and timbering pushed back the swamp. With the 1780 Black Camp Insurrection during the American Revolution, the “Nanticoke […]

Read More


Mt. Zion United Methodist Church

SC-195: originally installed in 2004. This congregation was organized in 1809. Services were held in a structure that was first known as Elzey Moore’s Meeting House and later renamed Wesley Chapel. With the closing of Wesley in 1852 the congregation was divided. On January 8, 1853, members residing in this area obtained this site from […]

Read More


Sailor’s Bethel Methodist Church

SC-191: originally installed in 2004. The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1809 when a house of worship was constructed to serve the needs of the many residents of this area who were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. First known as Elzey Moore’s Meeting House, the name of the church was formally […]

Read More


Blackwater Presbyterian Church

SC-190: originally installed in 2004. In the 17th century, the colony of Maryland was founded as a refuge for Catholics and members of other religious faiths then subject to persecution. Many of the early settlers of this region, then a part of Maryland, were Presbyterians who had been denied their freedom of worship. For many […]

Read More


Governor Joseph Maull

SC-188: originally installed in 2004. Born in Lewes on September 6, 1781, he was the son of John and Mary Marsh Maull. Choosing to become a physician, he studied medicine with Doctor Jacob Wolfe. By 1803 he had moved to Milton, where he served the medical needs of local residents for the remainder of his […]

Read More





+