Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo



 Posts & Pages Tagged With: "Historic Houses of Worship"

Dickerson African Methodist Episcopal Church

“On May 2, 1868, the African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased land west of Millsboro from John M. Burton and first church building was soon built. In 1885, the Church officially changed its name to Dickersons Chapel to honor Bishop William Fisher Dickerson. Known locally as the Old Field Church, the church building was renovated and […]



St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church (St. Patrick Roman Catholic Church)

“St. Patrick’s R. C. Church is located on the s. e. cor. of 15th and King Sts. The site was purchased by Dennis J. Menton from Henry Danby on Oct. 9, 1880. The first Mass was said, in a frame shed which stood in the present school-yard, on July 3, 1881. The corner-stone of the […]



Big Union African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church

“Big Union A. M. E. Church is located two miles west of Frederica. The church was incorporated on Apr. 21, 1886. The church site was purchased on May 20, 1886, from James Pennewell.” (1) Photo Gallery: Resources about Frederica, DE: Text Source: 1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 234.



St. Peter’s P. E. Church

“St. Peter’s P. E. Church at Lewes. In 1681, the people of Lewes fenced in four acres of land and laid out a graveyard. They petitioned Gov. Sir Edmond Andros for a grant of this land for the use of the Church of England. This land was granted to them on Apr. 25, 1689. As […]






+