Thawley’s Methodist Episcopal Church
“Thawley’s Methodist Church (M.E.) at Hickman. In 1884, land at Noble-town, Md., was secured from Zebedial Fountain upon which a chapel was erected. It was located close to Liden’s School. It was named Davis’ Chapel in honor of the Rev. A. D. Davis. In 1888, the chapel was moved to Hickman where it stands on […]
New Market Methodist Episcopal Church
“New Market M. E. Church is located, on a dirt road, one and three-quarters miles east of Ellendale. This church was formally organized as ‘Wesley M. E. Church” at a meeting held in the home of Wm. Morris, near Elias Lofland’s store, on Sept. 8, 1810, when trustees were elected “for the intended place of […]
Ebenezer African Methodist Episcopal Church
“Ebenezer A. M. E. Church. Three and one-quarter miles west of Under-wood’s Crossroads there was a small village called Blanco. The houses were of frame construction and for some reason they were not kept in repair. Gradually, one by one, they tumbled down and the only building that has survived is Ebenezer Church. This church […]
St. Georges Presbyterian Church
“St. Georges Presbyterian Church was founded in 1698. Meetings were held in a log building. The Rev. Henry Hook was installed as the first pastor in 1722. “On the 23rd day of April in the 15th year of George II, King of Great Britain, etc., and in the year of our Lord 1742,” Magdalene Cox […]
Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
“The genesis of the African Methodist Episcopal Church can be traced to Delaware in 1777 when a young slave named Richard Allen experienced a spiritual awakening at a meeting conducted by an itinerant Methodist preacher. After becoming free, Allen engaged in a long struggle to secure greater freedom of worship for his people. As a […]
Holly Oak Methodist Episcopal Church
“Holly Oak Methodist Church (M.E.) On Jan. 2, 1916, a Sunday School was started in the home of Daniel Wilhelm at Holly Oak. Prayer meetings were also held. A house and lot were purchased by Mrs. Josephine L. Campbell and Miss Erna Wilhelm (Mrs. McClure), to be used as a church-house. It was dedicated on […]
St. John’s Roman Catholic Church
“St. John’s R. C. Church at Milford. The first Masses were celebrated, at Milford, in the Central Hotel in the 1890’s through the courtesy of Frank H. Kramlich who conducted the hotel at that time. The first agitation toward the erection of a church was started in 1896. On Dec. 8, 1909, the present site […]
Kirkwood Methodist Church
“Kirkwood Methodist Church (M.E.). In 1898, S. O. Gibbons, a local-preacher, held revival services at Kirkwood and was successful in gaining converts. On Feb. 2, 1899, R. T. Cann donated land upon which a church was built. The corner-stone was laid on May 28, 1899, by the Rev. I. L. Wood. The church was dedicated […]
Williamsville Methodist Church
“Williamsville Methodist Church (M.E.) was the outgrowth of meetings held in the schoolhouse previous to 1850. Then, W. T. Griffith donated a piece of land upon which a chapel was built and named “Griffith’s Chapel,” in honor of the donor. A graveyard is located beside the church, the tombstones dating back to 1862. In 1884, […]
St. Helena Roman Catholic Church
“St. Helena R. C. Church, located on Bellefonte Ave. just off the Phila. Pike, was built in 1936. The church was dedicated on Nov. 22, 1936, by Bishop Edmond J. FitzMaurice, assisted by the Rev. John J. Dougherty and other priests. A procession marched around the church as the Bishop blessed the four corners of […]