This 1956 document is an invitation for Governor Boggs from “Bo-Peep” to attend the sheep pavilion at the Kent-Sussex (State) Fair.
The Delaware State Fair started in 1919 in Harrington by a small group of people and was originally called the Kent and Sussex Fair. The history of fairs in Delaware goes back to colonial times. By the 1800s fairs were held by a variety of agricultural societies up and down the state. In 1937, a suggestion was made to change the name to the Delaware State Fair, but the idea failed miserably. The fair closed in 1942 and 1943 because of the war, but reopened the next year. By 1962, the name was successfully changed to the Delaware State Fair, although most local people call it the Harrington Fair.
This document is found in the Governor’s Papers that contain records generated by the Governor’s Office. Included in the collection are correspondence, various reports, press releases, meeting minutes, invitations, governors’ messages, photographs and publications of the Governors since 1874. The papers from previous Governors are found in the Executive Papers.