“Governor Elbert Carvel and Delmarva Chicken Festival Queen Jane Mustard flash their smiles as she pretends to place a chef’s hat on the Governor’s head at the 1950 Delmarva Chicken Festival.
Elbert Carvel was Governor from 1950 to 1954 and then elected again in 1960 to serve four more years. The Delmarva Chicken Festival was started in 1948 and the primary purpose of the festival was to publicize the Delmarva Peninsula with an emphasis on the area’s most important agricultural enterprise, raising chickens. In 1950, the now famous frying pan, that is ten feet in diameter with an eight foot handle, was first used and made by the Mumford Sheet Metal Company in Selbyville. It weighs 650 pounds and can hold 800 chicken quarters by 1988 a new pan was needed.
This photograph is found in the General Photograph Collection which is a broad collection of photos spanning the late 19th through 20th centuries, although, most of the photographs are from the 1940s through the 1960s. It includes a variety of subjects from business and education to towns and recreation. This photograph is from the local events section.