The Braille map of Delaware was made at the Perkins School for the Blind which started in 1829 and was the first chartered school for the blind in the United States. The Braille system was first implemented in the 1820s and later machines were developed to type in Braille. In 1951, the school developed the first prototype for the Perkins Brailler which replaced earlier machines and is still used today.
This map is part of a collection of miscellaneous maps, plans and plots that has not been processed. This is the only Braille map in our collections.