To commemorate the opening of the new St. George’s Bridge in 1942, Governor Bacon and several other state dignitaries traveled in the first car across the new span.
In 1942, Governor Walter W. Bacon was the first to drive over the new St. George’s Bridge. This bridge replaced the one that was built in 1926 which was rammed and demolished in 1939 by the S.S. Waulegan. The Army Corps of Engineers purchased the canal in 1919 and built a low-level drawbridge to span the canal.
This photograph is part of Delaware in World War II collection. The collection represents a wide range of activities in Delaware during the war. More than twenty-five percent of it deals with Dover Air force Base, New Castle Army Air Base, Fort Du Pont, Fort Miles and Edgemore Coast Guard Base. Civilian war activities include war loan drives, Victory Gardens, civilian defense, industry, salvage drives, Red Cross, U.S.O. and celebration of the war’s end. There is also a section that deals with everyday life in Delaware; especially in Wilmington and includes the Swedish Tercentenary and the crash of St. George’s Bridge.