Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

SC-266: originally installed on 12/11/2018.

Rabbit’s Ferry School educated Native American and African American students of the Robinsonville area from 1920-1965. Built in 1919 through Pierre S. du Pont’s school rebuilding program, the school served students in grades 1-8 and later, grades 1-6. Rabbit’s Ferry was one of the last active one-room schools in the state when it closed in 1965. Remaining students transitioned into the Lewes Special School District, which desegregated 11 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled segregation in schools unconstitutional. After the school closed, the building was repurposed as the Rabbit’s Ferry Community Center.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Location: 19132 Robinsonville Rd. Lewes, DE 19958


Related Topics:  , , , ,



+