Attention: Researchers who wish to perform research on-site may make an appointment by calling (302) 744-5000 or e-mailing archives@delaware.gov More Info

Delaware.gov logo

Delaware Public Archives (DPA) logo

NCC-240: originally installed on 4/16/2019.

The Louis L. Redding Comprehensive High School opened in 1953 and served African American students in grades 1-12 in the Middletown area. It replaced the smaller Middletown School 120-C, a three-room wood structure on East Lake Street. The school was named in honor of Delaware’s first African American lawyer, Louis L. Redding, who was known for his work challenging segregation laws in the state. In 1969, after the Middletown, Odessa, and Townsend School Districts merged to create the new and desegregated Appoquinimink School District, the school became the Louis L. Redding Intermediate School and later, the Louis L. Redding Middle School.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Location: Louis L. Redding Middle School, 201 New Street. Note: Marker is on E. Lake Street side of property. Middletown, DE 19709


Related Topics:  , , , ,



+