On June 6, 1890, Benjamin Harrison Elliott and his wife, Sarah Ann Hastings Elliott, donated this land and building materials for the construction of Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church. They had previously donated land for the site of Sycamore Public School, which was located directly in front of this cemetery. Prior to the construction of the church, the congregation conducted services in the nearby school. Sycamore Public School was destroyed by fire on December 1, 1952, and thereafter, students were transferred to Laurel Public School. The first trustees of the church and cemetery were Benjamin H. Elliott, Hiram B. Brittingham, Noah H. James, Handy Betts, Samuel B. West, John W. Brown, William H. Hastings, Gardner F. Elliott, and James W. Lowe. All trustees pledged for the land to be used for the ministry and membership of Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church. Following the church’s closing, the building was moved in 1983 to the Marvel Museum in Georgetown, where it was renovated and re-opened for public use.
Location: 14876 Rd 476 Laurel, DE 19956