Attention Researchers: The Welcome Center will be closed on Saturday, July 20th due to air-conditioning issues. More Info
KC-112: Originally Installed in 2015.
In the early 1890s, Clayton was home to an increasing population of African-Americans, many of whom were railroad workers. Byrd’s African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was built in 1894 to accommodate this growing community who previously had to walk several miles to Mount Friendship Church for services. The land was purchased from Willis C. Dickerson by the trustees of the Clayton A.M.E. Church for 100 dollars on July 13, 1894. The Church takes its name from Reverend Elijah Byrd who served as pastor for both Mt. Friendship Church and the newly established Byrd’s A.M.E. Church. The two congregations maintained very close ties and in 1901 they jointly purchased five acres of land from John P. Hudson for the formation of an annual ten-day camp-meeting intended to raise funds and provide an inspirational vacation for members. Byrd’s A.M.E. Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and continues to serve the spiritual needs of the Clayton community.
Location: 131 Dickerson St. Clayton, DE 19938