“Wilmington Manor Methodist Church was founded on June 3, 1945. The first meetings were held in the roller-skating rink. A church site at Du Pont Highway and Roosevelt Boulevard was secured on Feb. 7-23, 1946. Ground was broken for the new church on Sun., Mar. 17, 1946: The ceremonies were in charge of the Rev. Brooks Reynolds, the pastor. A sermon was delivered by the Rev. Dr. Oliver J. Collins, the Dist. Supt. The first spadeful of earth was turned by the Rev. Mr. Reynolds; he was followed by Dr. Collins and a number of the church officials.
On Sept. 1, 1946, the place of meeting was changed to the home of J. Oswald Beeby. It was proposed to use the lawn in good weather and later to use the basement.
The corner-stone was laid on Sun., Dec. 1, 1946. The ceremonies were in charge of the Rev. B. E. Reynolds. The stone was laid by Dist. Supt. Dr. Oliver J. Collins with a trowel furnished by Mr. Beeby. The Scripture was read by the Rev. A. J. Jackson of Newark.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 161.