“Lincoln Methodist Church (M.E.). In common with the Methodists in many communities the members at Lincoln held their early meetings in private homes. Later, a newly-built hall was rented for Sunday School services with occasional preaching. They were incorporated on Mar. 7, 1867. On May 7, 1867, Abel S. Small donated a church site on the cor. of 2nd and Baltimore.
Ave. In 1869, it was decided to build a church and the corner-stone of the church was laid on Oct. 10 of that year. The dedication services were held on Dec. 12, 1869. A new church was built in 1885. On Oct. 3, 1885, a half-acre of land was purchased from John W. Tharp and on Nov. 16, 1886, three-quarters of an acre was purchased from Harry M. Cole. The present church was erected in 1908 and it was dedicated on June 6, 1909.” (1)
1. Frank R. Zebley, The Churches of Delaware, Wilmington, Delaware, 1947, p. 266 and 268.
Related Topics: church, frank r zebley, Zebley