header image

Image of MarkerRabbit’s Ferry School educated Native American and African American students of the Robinsonville area from 1920-1965. Built in 1919 through Pierre S. du Pont’s school rebuilding program, the school served students in grades 1-8 and later, grades 1-6. Rabbit’s Ferry was one of the last active one-room schools in the state when it closed in 1965. Remaining students transitioned into the Lewes Special School District, which desegregated 11 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled segregation in schools unconstitutional. After the school closed, the building was repurposed as the Rabbit’s Ferry Community Center.

SC-266: Installed in 2018.

Click here to view the photo gallery on Flickr
Click to learn more about this town


19112 Robinsonville Road, Lewes, DE 19958


Links to more resources: