Methodism first came to this area in the late 18th century when circuit riding preachers traveled through the countryside spreading the message of their faith. For a number of years residents of this neighborhood worshipped in local homes and journeyed to nearby towns to attend services. On March 25, 1859, Dr. William Marshall conveyed land here “for the purpose of erecting thereon a Methodist Episcopal Church.” The building was completed the following fall and was named Reed’s Chapel in honor of the pastor of the circuit. It later became known as Sand Hill Church, the source of the name being the sandy and slightly rolling nature of the area. For many years annual camp meetings were conducted in a nearby grove.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us..
LOCATION: Intersection of , Milton Sand Hill.