Endeavor Lodge #17
On June 27, 1848, the Grand Lodge of Delaware , Ancient , Free and Accepted Masons, approved a petition from a group of local residents requesting the establishment of a Masonic Lodge in Milton. The charter for Endeavor Lodge #17 of Frederica, which had ceased to exist some years earlier, was revived and transferred to the Milton organization. The first Worshipful Master of the Lodge was James Ponder (1819-1897). A successful merchant and business leader, Ponder served with distinction in the state legislature and as Governor of Delaware from 1871 until 1875. Sources indicate that meetings of the Lodge were first held in Ponder’s Store House. The present Lodge Hall was constructed here on l and that was conveyed by Samuel J. Martin in 1883. The upper room was used for meeting purposes, while the lower story was rented for use as a store. A two-story addition was constructed in the early 20th century. Endeavor Lodge #17 was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 as a part of the Milton Historic District.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org..
LOCATION: 211 Mill Street , Milton .