From the earliest days of rail construction in this country, the advantages of linking the Delmarva Peninsula to the expanding urban markets of the nation were obvious. In 1836 the General Assembly chartered the Delaware Railraod for the purpose of building a line from a junction with the New Castle and Frenchtown Rail Road in the north to the southern border of the state. After a long delay due to poor economic conditions, construction was commenced in 1854. On December 11, 1856, a large crowd gathered here for the formal opening of the line to the banks of the Nanticoke River. With connections via the river to the Chesapeake Bay, and links to trade with the South, the tiny village of Seaford experienced a period of unprecedented growth and expansion. Tracks were extended to the state line in 1859, and in 18884 the dream of uniting Delaware with the peninsular portions of Maryland and Virginia was realized when the rails finally reached the shores of Cape Charles, Virginia. For many years to come, the railroad would bring economic prosperity to Seaford and the surrounding areas.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us..
LOCATION: High Street @ , Seaford Bridge over.