OCEAN VIEW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the late 17th century when this area was settled by people seeking religious freedom and economic opportunity. Many were persons of Welsh, French, and Scottish descent who subscribed to the Protestant Reformed tradition of worship. For many years they were forced to travel great distances to attend services. Formally organized in 1763, they constructed Blackwater Presbyterian Church in 1767 at a location a few miles west of here. In 1856, the expanding population of this community resulted in the establishment of a new church at this location on land that was provided by the Hall family. The cornerstone for the building was formally laid on July 5, 1856. This structure served the needs of the congregation until 1907, when the present sanctuary was built. Church facilities were expanded with the construction of the George T. West Fellowship Center in 1974 and a new meeting hall in 2003.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us..
LOCATION: 67 Central Avenue, Ocean View.