Sen. John J. Williams
Born May 17, 1904, John James Williams was a native and lifelong resident of Sussex County, Delaware. After completing his education in local public schools, he established the Millsboro Feed Company with his brother in 1922. Rapid growth of the poultry industry resulted in the success of this enterprise and subsequent expansion of his business interests. A Republican, Williams was first elected to the United States Senate in 1946. He soon rose to prominence with his exposure of widespread fraud in the Bureau of Internal Revenue. During his distinguished career in the Senate his efforts to eliminate waste and corruption and his reputation for integrity earned him the praise of his peers and the gratitude of the citizens he served so well. Following retirement in 1971, he continued to reside here until his death on January 11, 1988. In 1990, the home in which he and his wife Elsie had constructed in 1927 was conveyed to Delaware Technical and Community College following her death.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Intersection of West State Street and Washington Street.