MACEDONIA A.M.E. CHURCH
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the organization of a local society of the African Methodist Episcopal Church circa 1852. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the group obtained the old Bochim’s Meeting House and moved it to a lot on the west side of Front Street in 1861. The site was formally conveyed to church trustees the following year. A thorough rebuilding of the church was completed in 1879 during the pastorate of Rev. Heath.
In 1906, the trustees of Macedonia A.M.E. Church purchased land at this location to serve as a future site for their house of worship. The Front Street church was moved to this site in 1915, and an extensive remodeling project was completed under the administration of Rev. J.J. Moore. Another major renovation and expansion of church facilities was undertaken in 1981. Several annual conferences have been held here. Since its founding on the eve of the Civil War, Macedonia A.M.E. Church has continued to play a vital role in the spiritual life of the community.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at email@example.com..
LOCATION: Seaford, De