St. Georges Chapel
During the late 17th and early 18th centuries, a great number of settlers came to this area from the lower Eastern Shore counties of Maryland and Virginia. They brought many elements of their culture including an affiliation with the Church of England. In response to the growing needs of this community, a frame church was erected here in 1719. Destruction of the first church by fire in 1792 resulted in the construction of the present "Brick Chapel." Completed in 1794, the building was originally designed as a two-story structure with an interior featuring spacious galleries on three sides. Extensive remodeling in 1882-83 included the lowering of walls below the upper windows, and the removal of the side galleries. The deteriorating condition of the chapel resuled in major renovations in 1966-67. With the completion of the effort, the building was restored to reflect the major elements of its original appearance. Saint George's Chapel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at email@example.com..
LOCATION: Beaver Dam, Harbeson Rd. Near.