This was once the estate of prominent financier and industrialist John Raskob and his wife, Helena Springer Green and family. Constructed 1916-1918, it is considered to be one of the finest examples of neo-Renaissance architecture in America. Known as "The Patio," it was designed by the firm of McClure and Harper, also the designers of the famous greenhouse at Longwood Gardens. The Patio's architectural details document the firm’s training and expertise in Italian Renaissance style. It is largely modeled on the Ducal Palace in Urbino, Italy, with additional elements reflecting other Italian Renaissance palaces that Raskob had visited. Two of the Patio's most interesting features are its marble fountain carved with depictions of the Raskob children at play, and a stained glass skylight, designed by brothers Charles and Henry Keck. This has been home to Archmere Academy since its founding in 1932. The Patio’s architectural and historical significance was recognized in 2007, when it achieved National Register of Historic Places status.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at email@example.com..
LOCATION: 3600 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont.