SALEM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The origin of Methodism in this part of Delaware can be traced to the early 1770s, when a Methodist Society was organized and began meeting in the home of Isaac Hersey, a prominent farmer and miller. Through the efforts of Hersey’s step-son William McIntire and others, the land on which “Salem Meeting House” was constructed was obtained in 1807. The congregation was formally incorporated on October 16, 1807. Bishop Francis Asbury noted in his journal that he preached at this house of worship on several occasions. The church was remodeled several times during the 19th century, and was completely renovated in 1904. A Fellowship Hall was added in 1958, and the current sanctuary was built next to the hall in 1987. Members of this congregation were also instrumental in establishing Tyson’s Chapel (Newark) and Christiana Methodist Episcopal Church in the early 19th century. Today, Salem United Methodist Church continues to provide for the spiritual needs of the community it serves.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org..
LOCATION: 469 Salem Church Road, Newark