WASHINGTON LODGE NO. 1
Grand Lodge of Delaware A.F. & A.M
Chartered by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania as Lodge No. 14 on December 27, 1769, this is one of the first documented Masonic Lodges in Delaware. Its members included many prominent figures of the Revolutionary and early statehood period including Continental Army officers Peter Jaquett and Caleb P. Bennett, French Army Surgeon Dr. Joseph P. E. Capelle, and two of Delaware’s delegates to the Convention which drafted the Federal Constitution, Jacob Broom and Gunning Bedford, Jr. Other members included Caesar A. Rodney, Attorney General of the United States, and Surgeon General Dr. James Tilton. This was one of the four Lodges which met in Wilmington on June 6 and 7, 1806, to form the Grand Lodge of Delaware. At this historic meeting the Lodge was formally warranted as Washington Lodge No. 1, and member Gunning Bedford, Jr. was elected to serve as the first Worshipful Grand Master. On April 18, 1872, this Lodge was the first to hold, conduct and perform Masonic work in this building.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: 818 N Market Street, Wilmington in the 3rd floor lodge room of Grand Opera House.