GRAND LODGE OF DELAWARE A.F. & A.M
Organized Freemasonry in Delaware can be traced to the mid-18th century. For many years Lodges were chartered by other states. On June 6, 1806, representatives of Masonic Lodges located in Wilmington, New Castle, Newark, and Laurel, met at this location for the purpose of organizing the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Delaware. Presiding officer was Jesse Green. At a meeting here the following day, warrants were issued to the aforesaid Lodges and leadership was elected. Gunning Bedford, Jr., a prominent Delawarean who had participated in the convention which framed the United States Constitution, was chosen to serve as the first Grand Master. The Grand Lodge continued to meet at this location for many years.
LOCATION: Old Town Hall, Wilmington on lower wall near entrance.