Around 1740 water-powered mills began to appear in this area where the Brandywine River ends its journey – falling 124 feet in its final five miles. Small vessels carrying grain from nearby farms sailed directly to the mills. Other ships laden with flour sailed away to distant markets where Brandywine Superfine flour was known for its high quality.
In 1799 residents of the community erected a handsome building to serve as a community hall and school. By 1820 several fine millers’ homes overlooked Market Street. The village was home to coopers, carpenters, blacksmiths, leather workers, and mill hands. In 1869 Brandywine Village became part of Wilmington.
Brandywine Village was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The boundaries of the district were expanded in 1976. Well-preserved millers’ houses, the Academy, and especially the sound of the rushing Brandywine, remain as reminders of a rich past.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Wilmington – corner of Market Street and Race Street.