UNION LODGE NO. 7 A.F. & A.M.
The origin of organized Freemasonry in Dover can be traced to the formation of Old Lodge No. 18 on August 25, 1775. During its twelve years of existence, meetings were held on “The Green” at an inn which stood on the future site of the Kent County Courthouse. Members included such prominent Delawareans as John Dickinson, “Penman of the Revolution,” and Continental Army officers David Hall, Robert Kirkwood, James Tilton, and Allen McLane. The first Union Lodge was chartered on June 24, 1809. Worshipful Master was Willard Hall, who is widely recognized as the “father” of public education in Delaware. Hall later served as Grand Master of Masons in Delaware in 1817 and 1818. The Lodge met in the Dunning Building on State Street until going dormant in 1833. The Charter was revived by the Grand Lodge of Delaware on June 27, 1857. Meeting places have included the Dunning Building and “Old Brick Academy” on State Street, 22 Loockerman Street, and the Hinkle Building at State and North Streets. In 1960 a new structure was built at 38 South Street. After nearly a half century of meeting there, the members of Union Lodge No.7 completed construction of the present building in 2005.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION: 1478 Wyoming Mill Road, Dover. Wall mounted on the lodge.