Quakers were gathering for worship in this area by 1712, when members of the Religious Society of Friends met “at the widow Needham’s at Murderkill Creek.” Established as Motherkiln Preparative Meeting (under the care of Duck Creek Meeting), the group probably met in the homes of its members until a meetinghouse was constructed at this site, circa 1760, on land donated by William Jackson. The structure was burned soon thereafter, and for a time Friends debated locating the Meeting to a site near Tidbury Creek. At length, it was decided to re-erect a (brick) meetinghouse here. As of 1788 Motherkiln Meeting gained the status of a monthly meeting. By 1814 members were considering removal to the growing community of Camden, where a preparative meting had been established in 1805. Regular worship at this site was discontinued by 1828, and in 1839 the Motherkiln and Duck Creek meeting, formally united with Camden Preparative Meeting, forming Camden Monthly Meeting of Friends. The Motherkiln Meetinghouse was used occasionally until 1844 when the building was sold and dismantled.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Just north of Magnolia on east side of Alternate Route 113.