In 1947 the General Assembly appropriated funding to build a comprehensive high school for Blacks and other persons of color residing in central Delaware. The site for the new school was selected in 1949. The state and the Delaware School Auxiliary Association allocated additional funding, and construction was begun in 1951. The new school opened its doors in September 1952. It was named for Dr. William W. M. Henry, a 1902 graduate of Delaware State College, who was the first Black physician to practice in lower Delaware. In 1965, the State Board of Education ordered the desegregation of Delaware schools. The High School was closed on June 30, 1966, and the facility became a part of Dover’s integrated public school system.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Dover, 65 Carver Road