Byrd's A.M.E. Church
In the early 1890s Clayton was home to an increasing population of African-Americans, many of whom were railroad workers. Byrd’s African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was built in 1894 to accommodate this growing community who previously had to walk several miles to Mount Friendship Church for services. The land was purchased from Willis C. Dickerson by the trustees of the Clayton A.M.E. Church for 100 dollars on July 13, 1894. The Church takes its name from Reverend Elijah Byrd who served as pastor for both Mt. Friendship Church and the newly established Byrd’s A.M.E. Church. The two congregations maintained very close ties and in 1901 they jointly purchased five acres of land from John P. Hudson for the formation of an annual ten day camp-meeting intended to raise funds and provide an inspirational vacation for members. Byrd’s A.M.E. Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and continues to serve the spiritual needs of the Clayton community.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION: 122 Dickerson Street, Clayton