When Methodism first came to this area in the late 18th century, residents worshipped in local homes and journeyed to nearby towns to attend services. On November 20, 1848 William and Sarah Griffith conveyed land to the Trustees of the Williamsville Methodist Episcopal Church to build “thereon a church or place of worship”. Construction was completed circa 1850, and the building was named in honor of the Griffths. The chapel is a well-preserved example of a mid-nineteenth century, rural Methodist meeting house. The adjoining cemetery contains graves of several Civil War veterans, with the earliest stone dating to 1862. Services were conducted here until the mid-1970’s. In 1982 the United Methodist Conference deeded the property to the Williamsville Historical Society. Griffith’s Chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Intersection of Williamsville Road and Abbotts Pond Road, Milford