Roby Methodist Church
First settled in the 18th century, the town of Leipsic quickly became a trading center for local produce and seafood. The area experienced a period of sustained growth, during which the Leipsic Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1831. Increasing political tension over the Civil War led to a division in the membership. The Methodist Protestant Church in Leipsic was formally organized on June 3, 1865. On December 4th, the Trustees purchased property from Samuel Burton “to erect a house for Religious worship in the town of Leipsic.” Construction was completed in late December and the dedication ceremony was held on January 28, 1866. The parish was named in honor of Dr. Washington Roby, the President of the Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church from 1858-59. Although the original bell tower was destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in 1954, the bell was saved and re-housed in a new steeple. Roby Methodist Protestant Church continues to serve the spiritual needs of the community.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: N. Main Street, Leipsic