SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 5.
In 1829 the Delaware General Assembly enacted legislation resulting in the establishment of a public school system. The state was subdivided into local districts. One of these was School District #5, which was created to serve the needs of students in this area. In 1854 a two-story brick schoolhouse was erected at this location to supplant the outgrown frame structure used since the district’s creation. After the consolidation of several local districts in 1881, a new school was constructed at a nearby site of the opposite side of South Street. Upon its completion in 1884, the District #5 property was sold. The brick building was converted for use as a home. It was later dismantled. The school’s frame attachment was moved back of the lot to face Cummins Street, where it also was renovated for use as a private residence. In 1936 the wooden structure that had once served as a place of learning for local students was again moved to its present location at 110 South Street.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: 110 South Street, Smyrna.