State of Delaware - Search and Services/Information

State of Delaware - The Official Website of the First State State of Delaware - The Official Website of the First State
Services and Information

Slavery and the Loockerman Farm
As reflected in the 1790 probate inventory of Vincent Loockerman, former owner of the land on which Delaware State University is located, the property was once the home and workplace for enslaved African Americans.

The Colored Settlement Company
In 1896, Henry C. Conrad, a Wilmington attorney, purchased 120 acres of land located just southwest of the State College for Colored Students (SCCS). An original member of the SCCS Board of Trustees, Conrad intended to establish a stock company and build an industrial village inhabited completely by African American workers. Soon after its establishment, the Colored Settlement Company began selling subdivided lots to people connected with the College, along with other African Americans of the area.
Among those who purchased lots from the Colored Settlement Company were John B. Aiken, one of the first graduates of SCCS; Lydia Laws, first female professor at the school; Samuel L. Conwell, first professor hired at the SCCS who also served as the first assistant to SCCS President Wesley Webb; and William C. Jason, first African American president of the College. Henry C. Conrad would go on to serve as the State of Delaware’s second State Archivist.

1968 National Guard
In 1968, a group of students led by student council president Leroy Tate, began a protest at the dedication of a new student center and dormitory following the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. The unrest reached its height in May when students occupied the administrative building, Grossley Hall.  This protest led Governor Terry to order the National Guard to patrol the campus.