Strolling the Boardwalk

Previous Page Home Page

100th Anniversary

As shown in this undated photograph, strolling the Rehoboth Boardwalk has always been a Delaware tradition.

Strolling the Boardwalk


The Rehoboth Beach Camp Meeting Association purchased land in 1872 to start a camp meeting where present day Rehoboth Beach is located. The first boardwalk was built a year later. A severe storm in 1903 destroyed part of Surf Avenue and most of the boardwalk. The boardwalk was rebuilt only to be destroyed again in 1914 along with the pier, pavilion and washed out Surf Avenue. Again, the boardwalk was rebuilt, the “Nor’eastern” of 1962 destroyed it and many properties. Rebuilding the boardwalk was done again with sections replaced over the years.

This photograph is part of the Purnell Collection. The collection contains representations of a wide range of subjects and time periods that give an excellent view of Sussex County life. There are also some photos from Kent and New Castle Counties. The collection is divided into three categories: places, with street scenes, businesses, buildings and transportation; portraits and subjects.