Layout of the Land

Previous Page Home Page Next Page


The Delaware Public Archives continues to accept papers and photographs that document the history and culture of the First State. This 1758 plot of Levin Adams’ land in Milford was donated to the Archives in the late 1990s.

Layout of the Land

Levin Adams purchased this plot from William Manlove. The deed carefully describes the land and the wharf that is drawn on the plot. Notice the name of the river is Mushmillion, not Mispillion. Throughout much of the 18th century, these two names are used interchangeably.

The Florence Lewis Collection is part of the Small Manuscript collection. It mainly contains land records in Kent and Sussex Counties concentrated in the Milford area. Also included in the collection are; indentures, letters, probates, surveys, plots, deeds, notes, leases, bonds, patents and accounts.